This is your one-stop center for finding out what your responsibilities are as an APWA Snow Conference Speaker. Please read all of the information presented in each of the links below and submit the requested forms by the stated deadlines.
We very much appreciate your efforts in preparing your presentation and would like to assist you in any way we are able. If you should have any questions, please contact Phyllis Muder, Project Manager at (816) 595-5211 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Speaker Checklist and Important Deadlines
2011 APWA North American Snow Conference
APWA audiences come to Snow Conference expecting a professional level of exchange and to be able to take home information that will help their agencies provide improved public works services to their communities. The four most common complaints noted on evaluations from prior Snow Conferences are:
- "The presentation was a 'sales' pitch for a particular product or service."
- "I couldn't read the slides."
- "One speaker took so much time that the others were not able give their full presentations."
- "I'd like more practical knowledge."
In response, these are the requirements we ask of you as you prepare for your presentation:
- We suggest that you provide attendees with handouts. We ask that you submit them to APWA by March 27, 2011 in electronic format. For preparation tips, review our Guidelines for Acceptable Handout Materials. Review the Tips on Using PowerPoint Slides and Other Visuals to make sure your visuals can be seen by your audience.
- If there are other speakers in your session, be sure to coordinate with them in advance to make sure that all of your presentations will fit into the assigned timeframe. If you do not have the contact information for the individuals you will be co-presenting with, please contact Phyllis Muder at 816-595-5211 or email@example.com. We also recommend that you meet with the other speakers prior to your session to load all of your presentations on to one laptop computer.
- Selling from the podium can create conflict of interest problems for APWA. Presentations at APWA programs should never be advertisements for your products or services. If a product comparison is part of your presentation, disclose your financial interest in your product or service and discuss the strengths and weaknesses of competing products fairly.
Audiovisual Equipment Guidelines:
Most speakers at Snow Conference use PowerPoint slides in their presentations. APWA will provide an LCD projector as standard equipment in each session room, BUT - you must bring your own laptop computer. APWA will not supply laptop computers for speakers. Please review
Tips on Using Slides and Other Visual Aids
. Fill out and submit your
Audiovisual Equipment Request Form
Registering for Snow Conference:
As a speaker at APWA's Snow Conference, you must still register as an attendee. Download the
Speaker Registration Form (PDF)
and fax or mail it to the information listed on the form. It is important that you use only the designated "Speaker" form so that we may identify you as a speaker. Please do not use a regular Snow Conference registration form because you will not receive a speaker's name badge.
If you are attending only on the day of your presentation
, your registration is complimentary. You still must complete a registration form so that you are entered into the conference database to receive a name badge. You must use the specially coded "Speaker" registration form in order to receive this complimentary offer. Be sure to check the appropriate box on the form.
If you are attending the entire conference
, you must pay the appropriate member or non-member registration fee. APWA does not apply single-day compensation against Full registration fees.
We have a fast and easy way for you to submit your handouts. Simply upload your files to APWA's ftp site.
- Using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher click below:
- Double Click on the "2011 NASC Handouts" folder to open
- Drag and drop your handout file(s) onto the site.
- Once your files appear in the window, you're done! Just close the window.
- If you have trouble using the ftp site, you may attach your handouts in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Many e-mail servers won't allow people to send large files, so please try the ftp site first.
Travel/Lodging Arrangements: APWA does not reimburse travel expenses or make lodging arrangements for speakers of concurrent technical education sessions. You are responsible for making your own travel arrangements and covering the expenses connected with your travel to APWA's Snow Conference. Information about hotels will be available on the Snow Conference website. Please make your hotel reservations early, as premium hotel space goes quickly. Click here for host city information.Click here for host city information.
If You Must Cancel: Information about your presentation has been included in marketing materials prepared to announce this conference. Registrants expect and look forward to your presentation. If at any time you become unable to honor your commitment to participate, please notify Phyllis Muder at 816-595-5211 or email@example.com. You will be asked to recruit a replacement speaker to assume your commitment.
If You Have Questions: If you should have any questions, please feel free to contact Phyllis Muder.
Phyllis Muder, Project Manager of Continuing Education
Direct phone line: (816) 816-595-5211