2011 SUSTAINABILITY CONFERENCE SPEAKER INFORMATION CENTER
2011 Sustainability in Public Works Conference speakers have been selected and notified. If you are not a confirmed 2011 speaker but are interested in speaking at one of APWA's 2012 conferences, please visit the Call for Presentations page to submit a speaking proposal for 2012 events.
Welcome – 2011 Sustainability In Public Works Conference Speakers!
This is your one-stop center for learning about APWA and the Sustainability audience and for finding out what your responsibilities are as an APWA Sustainability Conference Speaker. Please read all of the information presented below and submit the requested forms by the stated deadlines.
We very much appreciate your efforts in preparing your presentation and would like to assist you in any way we can. If you should have any questions, please contact APWA's Professional Development staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or Karen Wilson (email@example.com), Sr. Manager of Continuing Education, (816) 595-5210.
Visit the APWA Sustainability Conference Website (http://sites.apwa.net/sustainability/) for a complete look at all of the education programming and special events that will occur at the 2011 Sustainability in Public Works Conference. Also, check out the description and learning objectives for your presentation. Simply click on "ATTENDEES" then click on "EDUCATION SESSIONS."
Speaker Checklist and Important Deadlines
Speaker Registration Policy
- Speakers attending the conference only on the day that they are speaking will receive a complimentary registration for that day. Simply email APWA at firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us that you will be onsite only on the day that you speak.
- Speakers attending the full conference will be comped for the day they speak and pay the One-Day fee to account for the rest of their conference attendance: $237 Member, Member, $327 NonMember. Please download and complete the Speaker Registration Form and fax it to (816) 595-5372 indicating your method of payment. If you are speaking on Tuesday, check the Wednesday One-Day Registration Box. If you are speaking on Wednesday, check the Tuesday One-Day Registration Box.
Presentation Guidelines: APWA audiences come to our conferences expecting a professional level of exchange and to be able to take home information that will help their agencies provide improved public works services to their communities. The four most common complaints noted on evaluations are:
- "The presentation was a 'sales' pitch for a particular product or service."
- "I couldn't read the slides."
- "One speaker took so much time that the others were not able give their full presentations."
- "I'd like more practical knowledge."
In response, these are the requirements we ask of you as you prepare for your session:
- Submit your presentations as PowerPoint files to APWA no later than May 27, 2011 in electronic format. For instructions and preparation tips, review our Guidelines for Acceptable Handout Materials.
- If there are other speakers in your session, be sure to coordinate with them in advance to make sure that all of your presentations will fit into the assigned time frame. If you do not have the contact information for the individuals you will be co-presenting with, please contact APWA's Professional Development staff at email@example.com or Karen Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org), Sr. Manager of Continuing Education, (816) 595-5210. We also recommend that you meet with the other speakers prior to your session to load all of your presentations on to one laptop computer.
- Selling from the podium can create conflict of interest problems for APWA. Presentations at APWA programs should never be advertisements for your products or services. If a product comparison is part of your presentation, disclose your financial interest in your product or service and discuss the strengths and weaknesses of competing products fairly.
Most APWA speakers use their PowerPoint slide presentations as their handouts. To meet our goal of an “almost paperless” conference, APWA will NOT be printing your handouts and distributing them at the conference. INSTEAD, speakers must submit their handouts to us in advance to the conference and we will post them in PDF format on the conference website for attendees to download either prior to or after the event. We have a fast and easy way for you to submit your handouts. Simply upload your files to APWA's ftp site.
- Using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher click below:
- If prompted for a username and password enter "education" for both fields
- Double Click on the "Sustainability 2011" folder to open
- Drag and drop your handout file(s) onto the site.
- Once your files appear in the window, you're done! Just close the window.
- If you have trouble using the ftp site, you may attach your handouts in an email to email@example.com.
NOTE: Many e-mail servers won't allow people to send large files, so please try the ftp site first.
Audiovisual Equipment Guidelines
APWA will provide LCD projectors, screens, and microphones as standard equipment in each session room, BUT PLEASE NOTE: SPEAKERS MUST BRING THEIR OWN LAPTOP COMPUTERS. We suggest that if there are multiple speakers in your session, that you get together and load all of your PowerPoint slide presentations on to one laptop computer prior to the presentation. All speakers must fill out and submit an Audiovisual Equipment Request Form online, either indicating that you will only need the standard AV set –OR- that you will need additional AV services or equipment such as Internet connection, or sound amplification for your slide presentation.
APWA does not reimburse travel expenses or make lodging arrangements for education session speakers. You are responsible for making your own travel arrangements and covering the expenses connected with your travel to APWA's 2011 Sustainability in Public Works Conference. Please make your hotel reservations early, as premium hotel space goes quickly.
If You Must Cancel:
Information about your presentation has been included in marketing materials prepared to announce this conference. Registrants expect and look forward to your presentation. If at any time you become unable to honor your commitment to participate, please notify APWA's Professional Development staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Karen Wilson (email@example.com), Sr. Manager of Continuing Education, (816) 595-5210.You will be asked to recruit a replacement speaker to assume your commitment.
If You Have Questions
If you should have any questions, please feel free to contact:.
Karen Wilson, Senior Manager of Continuing Education (816) 595-5210 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Check out the full schedule for a complete list of other great sessions!
Missed this year's Call for Presentations?
It's not too late to submit a proposal for APWA's 2012 events! Visit the Call for Presentations page for details.